Theft From Vehicle
Thefts from vehicles is the most common nuisance crime in the city of Ramsey. Fortunately, it is preventable with these tips:
- Lock your car doors and close your windows.
- Do not leave valuables in your car. If you do, make sure they are kept out of plain sight - hide them under a blanket, or better yet, lock them in your trunk.
- When transporting valuables, place them in the trunk before you get to the location where you intend to park. Do not transfer them at the parking space in open view of other people.
- If you have a garage, use it.
- Do not leave your garage door opener on the dashboard, visor or front seat. Put it in your glove box, hide it, or take it with you.
- Always park in a well-lit area; if you park in the driveway, leave your house lights on.
- Remember: briefcases, sunglasses, clothing, keys, gym bags, and small change are all tempting to a thief.
- Leave only the vehicle keys with the parking attendant in a commercial parking lot.
- There are locks made for various marketable parts of cars. Battery locks, wheel locks and special tape deck lock mounts can save these items, plus any damage that may occur in the process of stealing them.
- Install a locking gas tank cap to help prevent gasoline theft and limit a thief’s driving range to one tank.
- Park the front wheel turned sharply to the right or left, making it difficult for a professional thief to tow your car away backwards.
- When driving your car, keep your doors locked and the windows rolled up.
- If you stop in traffic or at a light, keep your car in drive and stay alert.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- If you are being followed, go to a safe, public place and call 911; do not drive home.
Take the Theft from Auto Assessment (PDF).