Help Protect Our Waters

Your assistance is requested to help protect our waters by reporting Illicit Discharges. Blowing leaves and grass onto the street or washing spilled fertilizer into the street degrades water quality in pond and streams and is illegal

Examples of Illicit Discharges:081

  • Heavy Metals
  • Gas, Oil and Grease
  • Paints and Solvents
  • Pesticides and Herbicides
  • Grass clippings
  • Leaves
  • Soap from washing vehicles on the driveway
  • Snow/salt
  • Laundry waste water
  • Pet waste
  • Soil from excavations or unpaved driveways

Grass, leaves and pet waste washed into lakes, rivers and streams become a major source of phosphorus, the nutrient that propels algae blooms in the summer.

Dispose of old or unwanted lawn and household chemicals properly. Anoka County has a "Household Hazardous Waste Facility" located at 3230-101st Avenue NE Blaine available to all Anoka County residents. More information is available on their website: Bring identification to establish proof of residency. This is a free service.

If you see your neighbor putting grass or leaves in the street talk to them calmly and remind them it is illegal to do so, it causes pollution in our waters. The Anoka County compost site accepts grass clippings/leaves or you can mulch your grass to add natural fertilizer to the soil. Vehicles should be washed on the lawn or at a commercial carwash.

If you see anyone spilling, dumping or disposing materials onto the street, into a storm drain or into a ditch, report it immediately to the Engineering Department at 763-433-9839. Call 911 if you think it’s an emergency. The fire department handles emergency response call for contamination and spills.