Business Licensing

June 11, 2020: Effective immediately, the City of Ramsey is lifting the door-to-door solicitation suspension with some restrictions. To help protect public health and reduce the spread of COVID19 virus, door-to-door peddlers and solicitors will be expected to follow certain guidelines.  Peddlers and solicitors are responsible for complying with all Executive Orders and violations of Executive Orders are grounds for revocation. In addition:

  • We strongly encourage peddlers and solicitors wear face masks.
  • We strongly encourage peddlers and solicitors to maintain 6 feet of social distancing at all time.
  • We expect that peddlers and solicitors take extra care to look for “No Soliciting” signs on private property.

The City issues a license and photo ID for those selling door-to-door (some non-profit groups are exempt) for those that pass a background check through our Police Department.  Residents are able to ask for the solicitor’s City-issued photo ID if it is not visible.

Those not wanting peddlers and solicitors at their front door are encouraged to post “No Soliciting” signs in a highly visible area.

Print or download full letter here.

To Apply for Business License

Most license applications must be submitted a minimum of 15 days prior to date needed, some require more time (see application for details). Business licenses and/or ID badges are issued upon application approval by City Council. Refer to City Code Chapter 26 - Licenses, Permits & Misc Business Regulations. 

Completed applications should be submitted to the City of Ramsey along with the appropriate application fee & documents to:
City of Ramsey / Attn: Business Licenses
7550 Sunwood Drive NW
Ramsey, MN 55303

Peddler/Solicitors: Solicitors traveling door-to-door must wear their City-issued at all times. Solicitors must also carry their official City license.

Business License Applications

For a list of current licensees, visit the Resource Directory

Liquor License Applications

Temporary On-Sale Intoxicating License
Complete MN Alcohol & Gambling (AGE) Temporary On-Sale Intoxicating form and return to City of Ramsey or scan and email at least 30 business days before event along with a copy of certificate of liability insurance. The City will process the application, City Council needs to approve and then it will be submitted to the State on behalf of applicant. Refer to MN Statute 340A.404 Subd. 10 for requirements.

New On-Sale, Off-Sale, 3.2 Liquor, Wine Intoxicating Licenses
Applicants need to complete a City of Ramsey Liquor License Application. See application for additional documents required. A $500 non-refundable investigation fee and license fee must accompany submitted application.

2020 Liquor License Fees
Optional 2AM Closing License Application

Rental Licenses

Ramsey residents use this application when renting out your home.
Rental Licensing Application (PDF)

Questions may be directed to JoAnn Shaw ( or  763-433-9824.

Home Based Businesses

Ramsey residents with a home-based business require a home occupation permit.
Home Occupation Permit Application (PDF)

Questions may be directed to JoAnn Shaw ( or  763-433-9824.

Business Registration Certificate

The City of Ramsey requires that every business obtain a Business Registration Certificate (BRC) annually in order to operate in the City. Visit the Business Registration page for details & application form. The BRC is processed and maintained by the Ramsey Police department. Contact Jennifer Johnson at 763-433-9889 with any questions.